Stretching a mile below the rugged cliffs on the Presidio’s western shoreline, Baker Beach’s spectacular outside-the-Gate views of the Bridge and the Marin Headlands are unsurpassed.
Tips & Highlights:
- Dogs are allowed on this northern section of the beach either on-leash or under voice control, which means well-behaved furry friends can get a little more freedom to explore this spectacular coastline.
- On sunny weekends, be prepared for crowds and parking congestion.
- A picnic area with tables, grills, and restroom facilities is tucked in the cypress grove at the east end of the parking lot.
- Baker Beach can be warm enough for sunbathing and picnicking.
- Look for the display of historical military photographs inside the Battery Chamberlin magazine.
- Hikers can pick up the Coastal Trail on the cliffside.
- The northernmost end of Baker Beach is frequented by clothing-optional sunbathers.